Norwegian University of Science and Technology – Department of Language and Literature
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Contract / Temporary
Closes: 10th March 2017
Job Ref: HF17-004
The Language Acquisition and Language Processing Lab, Department of Language and Literature at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology invites applications from qualified individuals for a 3.5-year postdoc position.
The Department of Language and Literature (ISL) is part of the Faculty of Humanities, situated at Dragvoll campus in Trondheim. The Department has more than 80 permanent academic staff and approximately 25 PhD candidates who teach and conduct research in the language sciences, literature and culture studies. The Department of Language and Literature offers studies on all levels from BA to Ph.D., and we are responsible for the MA in Language Studies with Teacher Education. The department has a vital research environment and is responsible for several large-scale research projects. Further information concerning the academic profile of the department, management and staff can be found at http://www.ntnu.edu/isl
The position is affiliated with the Language Acquisition and Language Processing Lab. Research at the Lab focuses on investigating language skills and competences in children and adults, including developmental disorders. The Lab is primarily dedicated to basic research involving experimental research on language acquisition (both first and second language acquisition), as well as on language processing (for instance comprehension and categorisation). The Lab operates advanced research equipment (an SR Research EyeLink 1000 remote eye-tracker, a Tobii T120 eye-tracker and a T60 XL wide screen eye-tracker; state-of-the art 64 channel EEG). The research group at the Lab has attracted a number of large-scale research grants from the EU 7th FP, Horizon2020 and the Norwegian Research Council and Nordic funding sources. More information can be found here: https://www.ntnu.edu/langdevlab.
The position involves research and supervision within the field of experimental research on language. You will be responsible for conducting research in on-going collaborative projects at the Lab, involving advanced experimental techniques (eye-tracking, EEG/ERPs), analyzing data, teaching and supervision of graduate students and research grant application preparation.
The Research Goup includes 1 Professor, 1 Associate professor, 1 Senior Research Fellow, 1 Research Fellow, 1 postdoc, 5 PhD fellows, and on average 10 master students at any time.
The successful applicant must
- be prepared to design and conduct experiments
- analyse data
- participate in teaching and co-supervise master theses together with senior research staff
- give hands-on lab seminars for students
- work on grant applications
The successful applicant must
- hold a PhD degree in psychology, cognitive science, linguistics or equivalent
- possess expertise in experimental research on language (eye-tracking, EEG/ERPs)
- possess expertise in advanced methods for statistical analyses
- possess relevant academic competence and supervision experience at college or university level
- expertise in developmental deficits will weigh positively
- possess academic skills in research communication (writing/conference presentation) in English
- in making the appointment, emphasis will be placed on candidates with an active research portfolio.
- preference will be given to applicants with previous experience of teaching and supervision at university level.
The application must be sent electronically through the website Jobbnorge (http://www.jobbnorge.no), and be marked with the file number for the position HF17-004.
The application must contain information about education, exams and previous employment. The application must further include:
- Motivation letter
- a list of all relevant publications
- certified copies of certificates and testimonials
- details of their pedagogical qualifications in accordance with the relevant guidelines (“Documentation of an applicant’s pedagogical qualifications”) which can be downloaded from the following Internet address: http://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
- Applicants that are considered for the position, will be asked for references and called in for an interview. Please notice that applications sent by e-mail will not be considered.
Please note: Applications that are not sent through Jobbnorge and/or are sent after the application deadline will not be taken into consideration.
Terms of appointment
The position of postdoc is placed within code 1198 of the State salary regulations, and is remunerated according to salary level 57 in the national salary scheme, gross NOK 488.900 – per year. Two percent of the gross salary is deducted and paid into the State Pension scheme.
Preferred start up is early autumn 2017. Work place is NTNU Dragvoll, Trondheim.
The appointment will be made in accordance with regulations for fellowship appointments at universities, and with regulations concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. A contract will be drawn up detailing the period of appointment and required duties.
It is a major political objective to achieve a balance of age and gender in the national labor force and to recruit persons with a diverse background. Candidates who fit the latter description are encouraged to apply.
You may request to have your name withheld from public access. If you wish to do so, you must explain why your application should be treated as confidential. If you request that your name be withheld from public access, your request will be considered in relation to the Open File Act § 25. If your request to have your name kept from public access is denied, you will be so informed and you will be given the opportunity to withdraw your application.
For further information:
Department Head Professor Annlaug Bjørsnøs (email: email@example.com) or Director of the LALP Lab, Prof. Mila Vulchanova (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Questions about the application process can be directed to administrative consultant Hege Tverå Nilsson (email: email@example.com).
The application deadline is March, 10th, 2017